Launching of Delta Forum
On 10 April 2019, the Advisory Committee of Delta Forum had its first meeting in order to launch the planned activities of Delta Forum. Prof. Dr. Hamidul, Director of Institute of Development Studies and Sustainability (IDSS) at UIU who is initiator of Delta Forum presented ideas, thoughts and planned actions. The aim of this meeting was to officially start the first phase of Delta Forum, with notes and comments from the Advisory Committee. Special thanks to Prof. Dr. Shamsul Alam, Member (Senior Secretary), GED, Planning Commission for being our Chief Guest and sharing important suggestions and interesting ideas. Delta Forum got full support and will now take the first steps towards the right direction in order to stimulate science-practice-policy interface and to stimulate policy dialogue.
Introduction of the Attendees
Prof. Dr. Shamsul Alam, Member (Senior Secretary), GED, Bangladesh Planning Commission – Chief Adviser
Dr. M.A. Quassem, Member, National Water Resources Council – Adviser
Prof. Dr. Umme Kulsum Navera, WRE, BUET – Adviser
Engr. Giasuddin Ahmed Chowdhury, Deputy Team Leader, SIBDP 2100 – Adviser
Prof. Dr. Anwar Hossen, Dept. of Sociology, Dhaka University – Adviser
Ms. Catharien Terwisscha van Scheltinga, Director, WUR Research Project Office Dhaka – Adviser
Other members present:
Mr. Peter de Vries, First Secretary, EKN, Dhaka
Mr. Tapas Ranjan Chakraborty, Oxfam Bangladesh;
Mr. Reaz Khan, EKN, Dhaka;
Mr. Zobair Hasan, WASHBudget, DORP;
Ms. Sarah Jabeen Kristy; research Fellow, IDSS, Delta Forum
Mr. Jeroen van Hees, Research Intern, IDSS, Delta Forum
Ms. Vera Hartman; Research Intern, IDSS, Delta Forum
Initiator of Delta Forum:
Prof. Dr. Hamidul Huq, Director, IDSS, UIU – Member Secretary
The meeting started with a presentation about Delta Forum by Prof. Dr. Hamidul Huq. He explained the basic ideas of the Bangladesh Delta Forum through a concept note and a Power Point. The importance of sharing knowledge and experiences for reaching science-policy-practice interface was stressed once again together with the vision, mission and goals of the Bangladesh Delta Forum.
After the inspiring words of Prof. Dr. Hamidul Huq, the attendees introduced their selves to each other and started to share their thoughts and remarks on Bangladesh Delta Forum. The most important outcomes of this feedback session are:
- Delta Forum will be an open platform, any stakeholder can join to contribute for Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100.
- Delta Forum aims to bundle strengths in order to increase influence, expertise and efficiency. In order to bundle these strengths, membership of the Delta Forum is only for organizations to sustain a continuously process of involvement. In this way membership of these organizations will be forever, making cooperation easier. But, individuals can also be associated with Delta Forum for sharing knowledge on delta management.
- Delta Forum has the possibility to bring several stakeholders together in order to share the communities are reached.
- It is important to note that although the vision is to achieve a Sustainable Bangladesh, this Delta Forum will focus on the Bangladesh Delta only. It aims to make the implementation of the Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100 more efficient with large focus on communications and sharing of knowledge and experiences.
- Delta Alliance and Delta Cap/Delta Bulletin have confirmed to help supplying relevant information for the news updates of Delta Forum, in order to keep all updated.
- For a sustainable growth of Delta Forum, development and research are needed.
- All attendees of the meeting have spoken out their believe in Delta Forum, stressing out that this initiative is needed in order to strengthen the policy-science-practice interface in favour of Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100 implementation.
Afterwards, all the attendees had dinner together to celebrate the successful launching of the Bangladesh Delta Forum. We would like to thank everybody who attended this meeting for their great help, feedback and shared thoughts. We hope to see you in the first of week of May, when the first seminar Delta Forum will take place.
More pictures from the Launching of Delta Forum: